Monday, May 24, 2010

Support your local hooker! Week 1

And this time I'm not talking about Rugby! Although I do it there too :) So my Etsy team has decided to post blog questions/topics for team members to answer in an effort to bring more readers to our blog and to learn more about one another.

Here is the week1 question: When did you start crocheting? Did you teach yourself or did someone teach you? Tell us the story of how you became a hooker.

   My sophomore year of high school, I joined the fiber arts club. A couple of my best friends from high school were in the club run by  Ms. Taylor and they taught me the basic stitch and I loved it. My first project was a pretty sad, although Ms. Taylor told me it was beautiful ha ha.
   My mother had taught me how to knit when I was in elementary school and while I enjoyed it, I didn't take to it like I did to crocheting. Seeing this, she bought me a book of stitches and I would just sit there with the book and practice the different stitches. Somehow during that time I taught myself how to read a pattern but I'm not really sure when I learned that.
   I think my first major project was a blanket for my twin bed which I never finished ha ha. I think I bit off more than I could chew with that one but it did turn into a lovely throw. I love crocheting. I get so excited about new projects and ideas that I tend to jump from project to project. I'm trying to work on that :) Hopefully I will be crocheting long into the future. I would love to own a boutique with my friend Dan that includes unique hand-made items, but I'm still working up to that. Hope you learned a little something about me :)

5 comments:

  1. Glad to hear that your hooking just consists of yarn and a crochet hook! I think we all started with that good old "granny square" afghan. Thanks for sharing your crochet experience with us

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing. I love the fact that most of us got so excited about crochet we started with big projects, lol!

    http://myhobbyshopblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your crochet experience with us. Like you, I know how to knit, but just couldn't get into it like crochet. Happy Hooking is the life for me :0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a project jumper too! Or I have so many going on at once I never get it all done! You know, your teacher was right because your shop has some lovely items!
    This question thing should be a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A fiber arts club! Now that sounds cool! Whenever I'm teaching someone to crochet and they say they want their first project to be an afghan I laugh at them, lol! Then I make them choose something else! Thanks for sharing your story. (BTW, I LOVE your photo! You are SO cute!)
    Loose Threads

    ReplyDelete